問題の箇所の原文な

Q: Baseball today has a lot of players from other countries, obviously from the Caribbean and Venezuela, but now from Korea and Japan, etc. What does the club do to help these players learn English?

KM: Some clubs are better than others. 20 years ago, if we signed a 16 year old in the Dominican, we’d send them to a dumpy old academy with no hot water and a lousy rock-filled field. Then when he was 18 or 19, we’d send him to Peoria, Arizona, put him up at the Hampton Inn, and give him $30 a day. He doesn’t even know how to make change! $30 a day for per diem, and surprise surprise they’d get in trouble because they wouldn’t know how to speak the language or make change or even buy dinner.

That’s all changed. We have an academy in the Dominican now, our Venezuelan and Dominican kids are there for several years. English is taught, English classes are mandatory, high school diplomas are mandatory. And life skills, here’s a dollar bill, here’s a quarter, here’s how it works. Really critically important, as much as their skills as a pitcher or hitter or shortstop, critically important skills so they can survive and thrive in the United States, which is what we’re ultimately hoping they do! Some teams [are] better than others, I’d like to think we’re on the front edge of that, we’ve got a really nice academy.

As far as Korea, Japan, Taiwan, those players are typically older. They don’t come over as 16 or 18 year olds, they come over as 28, 30, 32 year olds. We typically...it frustrates me...For instance, we just re-hired Iwakuma, he was a pitcher with us for a number of years. Wonderful human being, his English was terrible. He wanted to get back into the game, he came to us, we quite frankly want him as our Asian scout, interpreter, what’s going on with the Japanese league. He’s coming to spring training. And I’m going to say, I’m tired of paying his interpreter. When he was a player, we’d pay Iwakuma X, but we’d also have to pay $75,000 a year to have an interpreter with him. His English suddenly got better, his English got better when we told him that! For the older players from the Far East, we have an interpreter that travels with them. For the younger Dominicans, Venezuelans, Caribbean players, we really invest in them at a young age before they get here. Good question! It’s important.